Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hispanic Study

I'm laying the groundwork for a study of Hispanic news use. Got the national survey data, lining up now my analysis strategy. I'm interested in whether a preference for news in English or Spanish affects the likelihood to participate or vote in U.S. elections. A corollary of this whether a continuing interest in the ancestral country also influences this likelihood to participate and vote.

There, PhDweeby enough for ya?So, how about some data?
  • Three-fourths say they tend to get their news mostly in English, while 18.7 percent say mostly in Spanish. The rest, 6.1 percent, say both.
  • Only 6.3 percent said they had "a lot" of interest in news from their ancestral country.
  • An equal third reported it is important, somewhat important, or not important at all that Hispanics "blend in" the U.S.
  • Among various Spanish language television news programs, the most popular (in order) are Primer Impacto, Noticiero Telemundo, Noticiero Univision, and CNN en Espanol. I may have missed one in the data. Teasing out news from entertainment stuff is tough when your Spanish sucks.
There's a lot more, of course. I'm just looking at some basic stuff now to wrap my head around the data.  Eventually I'll be building multivariate models to test how much a difference the media makes. The literature is rather explicit with four or five competing theories in predicting likelihood of political participation by Hispanics in the U.S. I'll be testing these as well to see which ones work best in tandem with news media consumption.







No comments: